Saturday, April 28, 2012

Little Vase Makeover



The weather here has been rainy and cold, preventing me from getting my paint projects done.  So I decided to focus on getting things a little organized.  With all the new items I've recently brought home my back porch looks a little crowded and the dog is disgruntled because his spot (aka the whole room) is gone. 

Do you remember the little mustard vase I picked up while thrifting?  Well, I was itching to do something other than what I should have been doing (cleaning).  I gave her two coats of primer to cover that lovely shade of yellow, then a coat of a light khaki color.   After she was dry I applied the mystery glaze I'd picked up at the thrift store.  I forgot to take pictures of my progress,  I really was attempting to get something else done while I was playing!  Any who,  This being the first time I've really used glaze I wasn't so thrilled with the overall look.  It was just OK, so my next thought was to see if I could rush the drying process of the glaze.  I know I'm really impatient some times.  It dried quickly with a little heat. 

Now what to do???  Wax of course, I'd found a new and rather large stenciling brush I had bought a while back and thought it would work perfect for all the fine detailing.  So I started applying natural wax in a stippling motion all over the areas the glaze had settled.  It was coming along great, the wax had added that extra bit of depth I was looking for on the piece.  However, something else happened as well.  More of a goof on my part.  Probably from heating my glaze to dry it.  The top coat of khaki paint was brushing off in places to allow the white primer to show through.  Oops!  But I liked how it looked, a bit distressed and it softed the hard edges of the glaze....so I continued.

  I love it!! What do you think?


My hubby even said,"That's not to bad, Honey!  It was really ugly before."  I guess that means he likes it because he usually doesn't comment on the "cute stuff".


 

No comments:

Post a Comment