Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tuesday's Thrifting Adventure with Gavin

I've not been thrifting in quite a long time.  I ususally like to yard sale or hit the flea market mainly because it's easier for me to get a stroller around these places!  However, yard sale season has not started here in Ohio and the flea market has been a little bare and overpriced for my liking.  I love to thrift and thought I would give it a go, taking my two year old with me.  For someone watching me it must have been amusing because most thrift stores are so packed you cannot get a stroller in them.  So I chose to carry him in and hold him so he would not get into things.  Your laughing now I know you are!  Because even though I was holding him he was still grabbing at everything.  Anything I was looking at or even things behind me.  I had my work cut out for me.  Despite having an extra set of little fingers,  I managed to hit three local stores and grab a few fun finds and some strange one's too!  I also lucked out that two of the stores were having 50% off everything that day.  Whoo hoo!!!  So here is what the little man and I picked up:

Not sure why I bought this ugly little thing, but I thought it might be cute painted with a bunch of my pink peonies in it.  We will see!



This little table was my favorite find and yes I carried this out all by myself in one arm while holding Gavin in the other! I've not decided what I want to do with this piece yet.  It has one water spot on the top, but other than that it is in great shape.



And here are the rest of the smalls that I picked up;  Three wooden candle sticks, matching wooden frames, and a very strange wine rack that for some reason was just to interesting not to bring home. 



One thrift store even had a little hardware section where I was able to pick up some quart size miss matched paints, stains, and glazes.  At a half off $1.79 I think I bought most of what they had (minwax and valspar). I even found three sets of lacey curtains that may be used for a new sewing project. 

Now the question is what to do with it all and where to start.  Well today I started playing around with the paint and tried making my own chalk paint.  This way if I was not thrill with it I didn't waste a lot of money if I would have used my regular paint.  I'm still in the process of testing out different distressing techniques to see how it performs.  Then I'll be posting pictures later today hopefully of how everything turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment