Thursday, February 23, 2012

Baby Rag Quilt with Tutorial Link

Last week I decided to try my hand at making a quilt.  However, I've no experience at this so I opted for a simple rag quilt.  My son was in need of a new blanket (at least that's the excuse I told myself) so I made a rather small one to start out with.  I found a great tutorial with step by step pictures, as well as a rag quilt calculator to help me decide how large I wanted to make my quilt.  A few tips when making this quilt,  I hardly cut any of the fabric.  I used a combo of quilters flannel and cotton calico fabric from my local store.  I was able to snip and rip into perfect squares.  Before performing this technique I would test your fabric (I tested each by removing the designers logo along the selvage edge).   Then I simply measured, sniped and ripped into long strips and repeated for each individual square.  Keep in mind to keep your snips accurate, your fabric will rip in a straight line along the end of that cut. This saved me a lot of time.  Well today I finally got around to the final step of washing it (which I would recommend doing at the laundry mat it makes a huge mess) and here is my final product. 





Not to shabby for a newbie quilter. I did make a little chair pillow and plushie owl out of my scraps just for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment